Praying for the one
18 July 2018
‘If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.’ (Matthew 18:12-13)
At CAP, we’re all about lifting up the one - the one family that becomes debt free, the one person that finds work, the one soul saved for Jesus. We help over 23,000 people across our services every year, but it’s these individual stories that we love to celebrate.
We do this because it’s God’s heart. He will chase that lost sheep for miles and miles and miles. No matter how far it runs, his love will not change. And when it returns home with him, he will rejoice.
From the one person who desperately needs to know that CAP exists to the one supporter encouraged to become a Life Changer, will you join us in these next few months as we pray for the one?
August – There is another way
1 in every 3 clients have considered or attempted suicide before they call CAP.
When they call CAP’s helpline, hope is restored, they are reassured that there’s a way forward and reminded that they are loved beyond measure.
Key prayer points:
- Pray for the people in this country feeling lost and afraid because of their circumstances, that they would hear about CAP and find the support they desperately need.
- Pray for those dealing with depression and anxiety and experiencing suicidal thoughts, that they would know how deeply loved and valued they are by their Heavenly Father.
September – Feed the five thousand
You might have heard that this year CAP is Premier Radio’s Charity of the Year. This is a really incredible opportunity to reach out to potential new supporters. Our first appeal week runs from 2 to 9 September, during which some very brave clients will be sharing their stories on the radio and spreading the word that CAP can and does have a huge impact.
We all know the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand – he used the little that he had to do great things, and we’re called to do the same. Whether it’s by praying, giving, or just tuning in to Premier, we can all bring what we have to impact more lives.
Key prayer points:
- Pray for courage for our clients an dfrontline workers as they open up and share their stories during the appeal week.
- Pray for those listening, that they would hear CAP’s heart for the poor and be encouraged to join in, whether in prayer, financially or otherwise.
- Pray that anyone who chooses to become a regular giver through the appeal week would know the eternal impact of their generosity as it helps to transform lives across the UK.
October – Speak up
In the month where hundreds of churches are stepping up to host a CAP Sunday, the power of our voices and our words are magnified. Proverbs 31:8-9 is one of the foundational verses that CAP is built upon. It tells us to...
‘Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.’
Will you speak up to God on behalf of those speaking up for the poor?
Key prayer points:
- Pray for CAP’s Speaker team and others hosting CAP Sunday this October, that God would guide their words and move people to get involved.
- Pray for CAP’s External Affairs team, who are actively working with the Government and energy, credit and debt collection industries, to secure better deals for our clients and anyone affected by poverty in the UK.
- And, of course, pray that these voices would be heard and that lives would be changed as a result.
Our prayer week focuses
08 June 2018
Here at CAP we're stepping into the month of June with our second prayer week of the year. We absolutely love these weeks where we take time as a charity to come before God and lift all we do, our incredible clients, supporters and each other to him in a focused way. The themes we cover during this week will be key areas of focus for us in prayer throughout the rest of the month, and we’d love for you to join us!
Beacon of excellence
As a charity, we're in a time of some large and exciting changes. As we navigate these, would you join us in asking God to make us a beacon of excellence, and that we would be the best we possibly can be, for our clients’ good and for his glory?
Upholding the vulnerable
When we pray, we always prioritise the vulnerable people we have the privilege of working with. Please join us in lifting up our clients who are facing some tremendously difficult situations; that they may know what it is to be upheld by their comforter and Father.
Projects, tech and strategy!
We're currently working on some huge technical projects in the world of CAP in order to improve our service for both clients and staff. We know that God cares about every detail, and so we’re bringing tech from behind the scenes to the forefront as we place these projects in the hands of our faithful God.
Build the Church
We have the incredible privilege of working with churches all over the nation in order to bring our service onto people's doorsteps and meet them where they are. We're taking time to pray for the local churches that have joined with us to see lives transformed. Would you also set aside some time to pray for the incredible work they're doing in communities like yours? Feel free to pray specifically for the CAP centres in your area (you can find out what's nearby by typing in your postcode here).
Celebration across the nations
It's important that we remember to lift up our international CAP family! Would you join us in praying for the families we're working with across the pond in Canada, New Zealand and Australia? As we close our week of prayer, we want to celebrate lives around the globe transformed forever by the power of God.
The CAP family is growing!
26 February 2018
Would you pray for our new frontline workers and partner churches?
Across the UK, hundreds of churches are already hard at work stamping out poverty through a partnership with CAP. From Sunday 25 to Tuesday 27 February, we're excited to be growing this invaluable network by welcoming new frontline staff to CAP HQ for training.
They'll be preparing to get out there and visit clients, run group services and bring the hope of the gospel into thousands of broken lives. Plus, this intake will see a whole bunch of new centres opened, which means more communities with access to CAP's life changing services.
I'm sure you'll agree God needs some serious praise for all this. Let's join together, thank him and pray his abundant blessing over this training.
- More than 600 churches have made the decision to partner with CAP and free people from poverty in their communities. Quite simply, we couldn't do this without them. Praise God for these churches and the brilliant teams within them.
- Please pray that each church would be positively impacted by this new (or expanding) partnership as they experience astonishing transformation in broken lives and see people from all walks of life joining their congregation. We've seen churches totally transformed as God moves their hearts to help those in poverty on their doorsteps.
- If this training intake is anything to go by, God isn't showing signs of slowing down with CAP any time soon! It's such a blessing to be joined by more people who are passionate about and committed to ending poverty and changing lives. Praise God for his ongoing and relentless provision.
- Please pray for those coming to train next week. There's going to be a lot of information to take in and lots of people to meet, so let's pray for energy and focus.
- Praise God for all the families who will now be able to access help from CAP thanks to the new centres and new frontline staff. Lives changed: that's what it's all about!
Thanks as always for your support and prayers.
Prayers for November
03 November 2017
No one left in the cold
Winter can be a particularly difficult time for those struggling with money and/or living on a low income. As well as the pressures of the Christmas season, we know that too many people across the UK struggle to heat their homes and put food on the table in the cold months. Please join us in praying that these people will reach out for the help they need sooner rather than later, whether that's through CAP or another service.
Our biggest ever training
Our biggest ever training is taking place this month, with lots of new staff being trained and sent out to start their new roles for CAP across the country. Would you pray for each of the new frontline staff starting, that they would be effective and fruitful in their new roles, meaning that even more people can become debt free, get back into work, find freedom from addictions, learn how to live better on a low income, and ultimately commit their lives to Jesus?
Taking CAP to the capital
25 November is the date of our 2017 London fundraising dinner! This is a huge event with enormous potential to push CAP forwards to transform thousands more lives across the UK, so there's lots to be praying into!
- We currently have more matched funding pledged than ever before! Please join us in thanking and praising God for this and pray that we raise enough on the night to release all of it
- So far we have over 865 guests attending, but we would love to reach the full venue capacity (1,100)
- Pray that every person attending the dinner really gets a sense of God's heart for the poor and vulnerable in their community
- Pray for the Spirit to move everyone attending the dinner to be generous and inspired to support CAP's mission
Prayers for October
02 October 2017
We’ve got a jam-packed month coming up. As well as our usual poverty busting, we’d really appreciate your prayers for the following events and projects happening throughout October.
Praise God for commitments
Last month at The Gathering it was announced that we’ve seen 1,000 commitments in 2017, making the total since CAP began a whopping 7,000! We’re still absolutely buzzing from the news – how awesome is our God? Let’s be thankful and praise him for what he has done in these people’s lives over the years, and remain prayerful for even more to come to know him! We have more than 80 client events coming up before the end of the year – these are a great opportunity for our clients to socialise, hear testimonies and learn more about God. Please pray for all those organising and speaking at these events, and for the clients to be moved and inspired by what they hear.
Uncovering the link between poverty and mental ill-health
15 October is our official CAP Sunday – exciting! Please pray as congregations up and down the country host a CAP Sunday in their churches and home groups, hearing about the link between mental ill-health and poverty, and how CAP is working to tackle this issue. If you’d like to host a CAP Sunday in your church too, we’d love you to join us! See capuk.org/capsunday for details.
Freeing clients from a life sentence of debt
In our latest campaign, we’re aiming to raise the fees for 500 clients to go through a Debt Relief Order. Why? Because these are clients who will never, ever be able to pay off their debts. On average it would take them 618 years! It’s a life sentence that they’d never be able to escape, but a Debt Relief Order is a way out of the prison. Please pray for God to provide what’s needed to help these 500 families. We’d love to be able to celebrate them becoming debt free within a few weeks!
Food and funds
And finally, we’ve got two fundraising dinners coming up in October in Guildford and Northern Ireland. We’re looking forward to sharing a meal with our amazing supporters, inspiring them about the work of CAP, and raising vital funds. Would you pray for our guests to be open minded and open hearted, and able to see our heart and passion for giving the very best service to those with the very least?